Saturday, August 1, 2015

Solipsism and the Independent

solipsism and the independent:

"i'm made up of lots of parts. i am the sum total of my parts, right? are any of my parts alone? not really! so of course i can't really believe in this total aloneness. can i see what other people see? all i know is me and what comes from elsewhere."

"tell me about what you think of yourself. why do you think of yourself as a dependent person."

"maybe i know myself very well maybe i don't, sure, i surprise myself sometimes but i'm not as shocking as other people! the question is whether you think of all of this reality as a whole. i think of it as connected parts. so you see i read other people's work, stuff i couldn't possibly come up with on my own, so i know other people are real, in as far as i define a unique person. i depend on other people. of course, still, i have to manage my life."

"do you prefer your own company? what are your thoughts?"

"i don't know. other people are something i can't fully comprehend."

"your focus determines a lot. you can only think about so much at a time. where none of this concerns you could be happening right now and you might never know. where you become independent is when you realize you're on your own out there."

"i find solipsism very frightening. yet i know it can't be true."

"you're your own man. you look for company. but you should realize that sometimes all that matters is what's going on with you yourself."

CLEARCHARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment